A Punch Bowl of Fun
By Warren Bobrow:
Fresh juices are the apex of every California-crafted cocktail. California’s oranges, in particular, are tart, rather than the Florida oranges that us East Coasters grew up with. But treat these California-grown fruits to the heat of a charcoal grill and they caramelize magnificently, bringing the natural sugars out in flavors not yet tasted by those who say they’ve tasted everything in life. It is simply delicious.
And in a punch format with Malus live resin-infused cider instead of booze, this drink is food and conversation friendly – and you get lightly high instead of drunk. Win-Win!
Santa Monica Punch Ingredients
- 1 qt. grilled orange juice*
- 1 qt. freshly squeezed blood orange juice.
- 6 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 cans of Malus
- Angostura Bitters for your gut!
- *Halve oranges and grill over oregano branches and hard wood charcoal until just caramelized and browned. Do not burn! Set aside and cool, then juice. Keep cool.
- Add a block of handcrafted ice to your grandmom’s punch bowl
- Wash some fancy bone teacups from your parents/grandparent’s cabinet… or punch cups and keep them cool with ice and lemon water
- Add all liquid ingredients to the punch bowl and stir
- Add Angostura Bitters to taste
- Add more Malus if needed **pro-tip you will want more!**
- Serve in those teacups or punch cups with your pinkies out.